Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve, So We Meet Again

The pain surged through my head like it had been struck by lightning.  My attempts to alleviate the unrelenting pounding were futile - Advil failed me. The prospect of throwing my head through the wall seemed promising.

It was New Year’s Day. I was twelve years old and apparently in the throes of my first hangover. Amazing what a couple sips of champagne will do to you at that age. 

Hangover aside, I miss those early New Year’s Eves, when the evening was simple, and expectations were minimal.

Of course, the older we get, the greater the pressure to make New Year’s Eve an epically great night. 

New Year’s Eve and I have had our battles. Every year it wins as I fall prey to its seductive powers.  And every year, expectations exceed reality.

New Year’s Eve is arguably the most highly anticipated, over-hyped night of the year (if you think the award goes to Valentine’s Day, I won’t fight you on it).

I view New Year’s Eve like a bad relationship – the lower the expectations, the smaller the chance for disappointment.

As such, I tend to prefer the low-key New Year’s Eve celebration. In my experience, all you need are a couple friends and some special appearances by Andre, Jim, Jack, and the Captain, and you have the makings of a promising night. 

In all fairness, I’m sure there are plenty of people who can successfully pull off a fun, extravagant New Year’s Eve celebration. I just have yet to meet any of them.

But, the truth is, it’s hard to deny the allure of ending the year with massive quantities of alcohol, to celebrate the good and drown out the bad.  

New Year’s Eve is an opportunity to start the New Year off any way you want, whether you choose to spend it with close friends or a random stranger you picked up at a party (no judgment).

Regardless of how you decide to ring in the New Year, enjoy tonight, for tomorrow brings New Year’s resolutions.

My resolution: to actually keep a resolution. 

…At least until February.

(On a side note, if you plan on driving and have ever uttered the phrase, “But I’m a good drunk driver,” save this number in your phone: 800-200-8294. Free cab rides for anyone 21 and older in the DC metro area.  What can I say, it’s the future Jewish mother in me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment